Due to the complexities of bespoke project testing, stringent customer specifications and compliance to standards such as API 17L1, Balmoral continually invests in state-of-the-art laboratory test equipment to ensure these requirements are satisfied. This programme of investment ensures the company retains total control over time schedules, test conditions and methodologies used to fulfil customer requirements.
Balmoral’s technical team has taken occupation of the company’s new custom designed and purpose built laboratories at company HQ in Aberdeen. The new facility houses a state-of-the-art temperature and humidity controlled laboratory that is fully furnished with a wealth of chemical, thermal, hydrostatic and mechanical test equipment.
- A range of universal testing machines (10 tonnes maximum load) capable of performing fatigue, tensile, compression, flexure and hydrostatic pressure testing using a complementary pressure vessel at temperatures of -70ºC-+350ºC
- Dynamic fatigue test equipment for testing polyurethane materials fully submerged at elevated temperature
- Differential scanning calorimeters for determining specific heat capacity, glass transition temperatures and oxidation induction time of polymer products
- Lasercomp Fox 50 thermal analyser for the determination of thermal conductivity
- Gas pyknometers for determining the true density of materials such as powders and gels
- Temperature controlled water ageing baths
- Hydrothermal ageing cells for long term analysis of materials up to 260ºC
- Laboratory scale pressure vessels capable of operating at sub-ambient temperature to 200ºC and up to 10,150psi, 700bar
- Temperature and humidity environmental cabinets
- UV weathering cabinet
- Karl Fischer titrator for determination of water content
- Automated titrators for quantitative analysis
- Lab scale CNC machine for test piece preparation
As well as providing professional in-house services, the development laboratory is available for third party development and testing programmes.